How To Prevent Delays When Submitting Your Divorce Paperwork

22 April 2016
 Categories: Law, Blog

Few things are quite as frustrating as having your legal paperwork rejected for issues. If you plan to represent yourself during your divorce, there are a few things you can do to avoid delays due to incomplete, inaccurate or incorrect paperwork. Use the following three tips to help you avoid delays and get your divorce taken care of as quickly as possible.  

Check and Recheck

The most important thing you can do to fast-track your divorce and avoid delays is to check your paperwork and check it again. If possible, fill out your paperwork, then let it sit for a few days. Then take the time to review your answers for accuracy. Check to make sure you didn't omit answers to any questions. You should also read each question thoroughly, then check to make sure your answer is relevant and makes sense. It is better to include too much information when answering the court than to omit information and have your paperwork returned for clarification. If you have a friend or family member that you trust, you can also have them look over your divorce paperwork to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Proper Service

The issue of proper service is one that trips many people up when they handle their own divorce proceedings. If you are the petitioner, you must have the respondent (your spouse) properly notified that you have filed for dissolution of marriage. This doesn't mean that you can tell them in an email, or have your grandmother give them a call on the telephone. The court will only accept service via one of two methods: service in person, or service by mail. If you choose service in person, you must use the respondent's local sheriff's office or an approved professional process server. This individual will deliver your petition for dissolution of marriage to your spouse in person, for a fee. You may also serve your spouse via United States Postal Mail. You must send registered mail with return receipt. Your spouse's signature will prove to the court that he or she was notified of the proceedings.

Ask for Help

It is completely possible to represent yourself in your divorce proceedings without the need for an attorney. However, you may have questions about some aspects of your divorce. The internet is a great place to go for answers to simple questions. You can also contact your local court clerk for answers or a referral to information sources.